Previously, I’ve written posts about sustainable home improvement products. Some actions of sustainability
can be described as repurposed, recycle, reuse and reduce. People are becoming more aware of the advantage to living an environmentally conscious lifestyle. Also, there are financial benefits to sustainable remodeling. One way a home owner can take advantage of tax credits is with energy efficient remodeling. There are government tax credits and rebates available for sustainable home remodeling. Don’t forget to look into remodeling grants and loans in your area.
When remodeling you want to remember to reuse and repurposed. Habitat for Humanity
provides gently used and new material for home remodeling. In the Kansas City area you can also purchase repurposed lumber
. You can search online using the words repurposed or recycled building materials
, to find local businesses. If you are not ready to invest in a large home improvement project, consider a few simple inexpensive projects to help with your energy costs.
Cost Saving Sustainable Home Improvement ideas
- You can seal and insulate duct work that runs through unheated areas of your home.
- Upgrading your attic insulation is another way to improve your energy expenses.
- Lastly, consider a programmable thermostat to save energy.
Incorporate sustainable remodeling ideas outside your home
- Garden Roofs are coming to the suburbs. This may be an option to expand your garden “up”.
- Home owners are using more space efficient ways to add additional room IN their home. Dead walls, attics and basements are ways to remodel to add space.
- Take the sustainability outdoors to your property.“… 2017 is bringing native, drought-tolerant, low-maintenance plants to replace some of that turf”, says Borst Landscape & Design.
- Alternative energy was once a luxury due to the high cost, but with the decrease in cost more people are looking into wind and solar power for their homes.
In addition, it is suspected that energy cost will continue to increase. therefore, any Eco friendly home remodeling will ultimately save you money in the future. If you need assistance in determining the energy efficiency your home contact CH Construction
for a home inspection.