Investing in your home is important for the resale of your home in the future. As times change, new innovations have come on the market. Unfortunately, competing with modern homes on the real estate market is difficult if you have not kept up with home improvements. When a home owner is considering a home improvement project they usually consider the cost recoup of a home improvement project.
As noted on the chart from Remodeling there are some very cost efficient home improvements you can make to your home that can increase the value of your home. You can also recoup a percentage of the cost.
Garage Door Replacement
Most importantly, when considering a new garage door you will want to evaluate your garage space purpose.
- Is your garage heated? You might consider insulated glass.
- For security purposes you may consider no windows or install the glass in the top panel.
- Consider matching the shape of the glass and style with your house windows if possible.
A minor kitchen remodel can update the kitchen to current trends. Therefore, is very cost efficient.
- Leave the cabinet bases and replace the doors with a trending cabinet front.
- Replace your appliances with energy efficient appliances.
- Install new flooring to add a new look to the entire kitchen.
Updating or adding a new deck to your home will increase the value of your home.
- Replace decking material with updated composite finish.
- Consider adding a pergola to your deck or patio.
- Updating your deck to a 3 or 4 season room addition to add living space.
- Multilevel decks are another way to improve your outdoor environment.
Windows and Doors
Replacing energy efficient windows and doors will help with utility cost in your home.
- Consider insulated, low-E, simulated-divided-lite vinyl windows.
- Steel doors increase security and are energy efficient as well.
Remodeling a bathroom is also a home improvement that will make a huge difference in a home’s resale value.
- Updating tile to neutral color schemes that you can add the current color trend with accessories.
- Install new cabinets to update your bathroom style.
- Update shower and bath fixtures.
- New flooring can add a new look to the whole bath.
Ultimately, these home improvements ideas will increase the value. It’s important to remember the quality of the products you are installing. As sustainable products, energy efficient products and recycled are increasingly becoming more important. These may be things to consider when purchasing materials for home improvement projects.
Remember when purchasing appliances, cabinets, flooring, and tiles; that color trends change annually. Ultimately, going with neutral colors is probably the safest bet on these products. Painting and home decor accessories can add the current trending colors to a room.
Lastly, check to see if you qualify for home remodeling assistance programs in your area. If CH Construction can help you with a home improvement project, give us a call.